Saturday, June 23, 2007

Scott City, KS

Hello from Scott City! Just rolling along through Kansas farmland, gradually gaining elevation along the way (I'm at ~3000' now.) Thinking about elevation this morning made me think about what next week will have to offer. If things go as planned, I'll be riding up and over Hoosier Pass (~11,500',) but probably won't be too acclimated yet by the time I get there. Suppose that's what granny gears are for :). The climate has gotten a fair bit drier, which makes me happy. Suppose I haven't mentioned it here, but most of Kansas up until the last couple day has been rather humid. Just checked the weather (main reason I popped into the library) and I've got an easterly wind forecast for the evening rather than the mostly northern wind from this morning - a good thing for me as I won't have to pedal so hard!

Nothing much to report since the last update, the scenery has gotten slightly flatter and has less trees - it's pretty much what I had imagined Kansas would look like now. From here on until Pueblo, CO, the route follows the same road (US 96)nearly due west, so that'll make things super easy! Planning on riding something like 100 miles today to end up near the Colorado border. Hopefully, there will be some other westbound cyclists in town tonight, met a couple on a tandem bike heading east this morning and they mentioned they had crossed paths with a few bikers that were planning on staying in the same place as me tonight, so that's cool. The rockies are getting closer!

No comments:

Hit Counter Hits since 5/4/2007
 

Last Update:

Distance4432.7mi
Advertised~4250mi
Flats11
Squirrels1
Crashes1.2
States10